Shertina

Shertina
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Quieting the raging thoughts.

I often will find myself caught up in the grip of racing thoughts, and I will often notice that when someone is talking to me, I will analyze their conversation mentally. This creates an enormous level of mental chatter that will cause me to interupt or practice a form of pseudo-listening. Many times, I have recognized that this chatter is a result of some type of disturbance in my spirit and this disturbance can cause me to have a headache or a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach.

The one thing that I noticed about the loving-kindness meditation and the subtle mind meditation is that they both focus on making the individual more aware of themselves the world around them. They both promote a glimpse of "what is possible into a way of life" (Dacher, 2006, p. 74).

I have noticed that when I pray or journal, I will increase my attention on something that will enhance my spirit, I notice my breathing changing, my heart stops beating fast and I am able to think clearly. The text explains that it is in peaceful breathing that a individual can produce a peaceful mind. I see peace today!!

Shertina

2 comments:

  1. The mental chatter can definitely get in the way of attaining a level head. I do that too when I'm listening to people talk. I find my mind sometimes wanders and then I have to kind of play back in my head what they said! I don't know if that's considered mental chatter or lack of attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shertina I see we are close to the same spot with the exercise. I want to start a Yoga class this Fall and stay with it. My attention span is not long. I have many things that start in my spirit and as my late mother would say "die in my flesh". I have good intention I just don't seem to be able to stay focused. This in itself is one of my goals, to stay focused and not so easily distracted. I know that if I put the integral practices to work I should be able to quiet the chatter. From this I should not only be able to help myself but find my place in the work helping others.

    ReplyDelete