Shertina

Shertina
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Psychological/Spiritual Check-up

How Are You Really Doing? Is a question that I ask myself quite often. The worst thing that a person can do is lie to themself. I know this all too well. I have lived years in deep denial and deep depression. Last week I went to see my mental health professional and I researched the lastest information on how to handle depression without triggering weight-gain with certain medication. I felt empowered by being informed when I went into the office. I left satisfied by the chosen treatment plan. I am truly a 3-part being. When I am too anxious, my life is unmanageable.

So, how are YOU really doing..... only you really know.

3 comments:

  1. I agree there is absolutely no point in lying to yourself about yourself. -I have said it before and I still believe that the only way you are going to understand where you are going is if you know where you are. So, you ask how am I doing... how am I really doing? I have made it a point to try to use the skills we have learned in this class especially those that involve claming the wandering mind and freeing your mind of stress. However, have been feeling real stressed my house feels as if it is in disarray and the responsibilities of my new position are immense. So, I believe stressed just about sums it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shertina-

    I know exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes I find myself in a deep depression and it's hard to get out of the funk. But you just have to really try and see the brighter side of life. And I know you do, but when you're in the midst of your depression, think about the things you're thankful for (like we do in class). Just remember there is so much in life to be thankful for and things that make life worth living. There's no sense in bringing yourself down.

    Also, St. John's wort is supposed to be a natural fighter against depression. I've never tried it but maybe that's something you can look into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shertina,

    Great post, thanks for sharing.

    I want to encourage you to continue to be honest with yourself, know you are a great person and you deserve the best. Depression really sucks, and I pray the treatment you have chosen will work for you.

    I too have been stuck in denial and depression. I am sick of it. I have tried anti-depressants, but did not like the side effects. I know the best way for me to get better is to get right with Jesus. I am not a typical nurse, I do not like pushing pills on everyone. I beleive there are alternatives. There are days I have to force myself to get out of bed. I have been so bad in the past, I conteplated suicide. I do not beleive I would ever act on it, I believe I would burn in hell for taking my own life. I also have five awesome kids now that help make me get out of bed!

    ReplyDelete